Communication in Nursing, 9th Edition
Immerse yourself in the ideas, theories, and techniques of effective communication in the workplace! Communication in Nursing, 9th Edition adopts a uniquely practical and personal approach to the demands of today’s nursing practice, providing extensive examples, exercises, and techniques that help you to apply communication skills in a variety of clinical settings. Using a conversational tone, this relatable text takes you beyond theory to show you how to understand important concepts and use communication as a tool to limit stress in your nursing practice. The 9th edition includes a new chapter which focuses on the foundation of communication and personality assessment. It also includes a new Putting it into Practice feature to help you apply your new communication skills in the work environment. In addition, updates on the topics of mindfulness, resilience and inter-collaborative communication highlight the importance of implementing these tools in practice.
New to this edition
- NEW! Starting with You chapter focuses on personality assessment using the Gallup CliftonStrengths among additional assessment methods.
- Two chapters have been combined to create a new one titled, Communicating Assertively and Responsibly with "Difficult" Clients and Colleagues, to help you better address aggressive and difficult clients and colleagues.
- UPDATED! Navigating the Expanding World of Digital Communication and Understanding Each Other chapters have been extensively updated to reflect most recent information.
- NEW! Chapter exercises incorporate teaching strategies such as cinemeducation and medical improvisation to help facilitate various learning types.
- UPDATED! Topics of mindfulness, resilience, and inter-collaborative communication have been incorporated throughout.
- NEW! Additional examples incorporated into Moments of Connection boxes highlight beneficial outcomes of successful communication and provide concrete examples of how communication techniques work.
- Active Learning features in every chapter promotes active, goal-directed reading.
- Wit & Wisdom boxes present selected verses and quotations relevant to chapter topics, adding interest and humor. These boxes provide moments of relief from serious topics and "a-ha" moments when theory becomes linked to practice.
- End-of-chapter exercises help you to master chapter techniques and strengthen your communication skills.
- QSEN preface and exercises stress how communication impacts safety and quality of care.
- Discusses the importance of interprofessional education and communication in the healthcare environment.
- Addresses the importance of "presence" in nursing — being present for clients, families, colleagues, and self.