Calculate with Confidence, 8th Edition
Learn how to make accurate drug calculations and administer medications safely! Calculate with Confidence, 8th Edition makes it easy to understand the three major methods of dosage calculation — ratio and proportion, formula method, and dimensional analysis. Clear, step-by-step instructions guide you through accurate calculation and safe administration of drug dosages. Thousands of practice problems ensure that you gain proficiency, QSEN principles prioritize client safety, and an emphasis on clinical reasoning helps you prevent medication errors. New Next Generation NCLEX® (NGN) case studies help in improving clinical judgment skills. With this popular text from educator Deborah C. Morris, you will learn to calculate drug dosages and administer medications with confidence.
New to this edition
- NEW! Five single-episode Next Generation NCLEX® (NGN) case studies are added to the book.
- NEW! QSEN content is now included In Unit One, Math Review.
- NEW! Updated medication labels are included.
- NEW! Discussion of herbal meds is included in the Medication Administration chapter.
- NEW! Latest research and information is included in the Insulin, Critical Care Calculations, and Pediatric and Adult Dosage Calculation Based on Weight chapters.
- NEW! Updated information on the administration of fluids is added.
- NEW! Updated information and examples of complex I&O problems are added to the Intake and Output section of the text, and it also includes more examples of complex I&O problems.
- NEW! Updated Medication Index includes the latest drug information and removes drugs that are off the market or are not widely used.
- Thousands of practice problems ensure that you gain proficiency with drug calculations.
- Safety Alert boxes help you prevent medication errors and avoid errors in dosage calculation.
- Tips for Clinical Practice boxes call out information critical to math calculation and patient safety, and summarize best practices in client care (a Clinical Judgment feature for the Next Generation NCLEX®, or NGN).
- Rule boxes present instructions essential to math calculations and provide the information needed to accurately solve drug calculation problems.
- Clinical Reasoning Scenarios discuss the safe administration of medications (also a Clinical Judgment feature for the NGN) and help you apply your knowledge to patient care.
- Comprehensive Post-Test assesses your retention of the "big picture" concepts, with answers located in the back of the book.
- Review of basic math, pre-tests, and post-tests allow you to evaluate your understanding of the material.
- Medication Administration chapter covers medication safety, a discussion on client rights, the basic six rights of medication administration, and routes of medication administration.
- Chapter review problems test your comprehension of all major topics, with the answers at the end of the chapter.
- Points to Remember list bulleted key points from the chapter.