Fundamental Concepts and Skills for Nursing - Revised Reprint, 6th Edition
Learn all the basic concepts and fundamental skills that an LPN/LVN needs! Fundamental Concepts and Skills for Nursing, 6th Edition prepares you for nursing practice in a number of care settings, including hospitals, long-term care facilities, medical offices, clinics, surgery centers, and home care agencies. Illustrated, easy-to-read guidelines ensure that you gain a thorough understanding of the nursing process and problem solving, addressing topics such as the physiologic and psychosocial needs of the patient, critical thinking and clinical judgment, communication, collaboration with the health care team, patient teaching, and cultural competence. Written by noted educator Patricia Williams, this text prepares you to pass the Next Generation NCLEX-PN® Exam and succeed in any care setting.
New to this edition
- NEW! Coverage of the NCSBN Clinical Judgment Measurement Model introduces the testing model used on the Next Generation NCLEX® Exam.
- NEW case studies and Next Generation NCLEX® Exam-style questions provide thorough preparation and practice for the Next Generation NCLEX Examination.
- NEW photos and illustrations show critical skills and procedures.
- NEW! Updated guidelines include those from the American Heart Association, The Joint Commission, National Pressure Ulcer Advisory Panel, Dietary Guidelines, and more.
- NEW! Expanded Evidence-Based Practice boxes and best practices are highlighted throughout the book.
- Concept maps help you visualize concepts addressed in the text and show how a condition or response can affect more than one body system, relating to symptoms, treatments, and side effects.
- QSEN and Safety information highlights the knowledge, skills, and attitudes you need to continuously improve the quality and safety of patient care.
- More than 110 Skills and Steps present step-by-step procedures in an action/rationale format, including sample documentation examples and Home Care boxes, as appropriate.
- Clear, easy-to-understand writing style makes concepts and skills easier to understand and remember.
- Get Ready for the NCLEX® Examination! section at the end of each chapter reinforces learning with key points, review questions, critical thinking activities, and additional learning resources.
- Life Span Considerations: Older Adults highlight changes that occur with aging and how these affect LPNs and LVNs working with older adults in community and long-term care.
- More than 20 nursing care plans illustrate each step of the nursing process, and include critical thinking questions.
- Nursing process framework features the application of the nursing process and nursing care plans, reinforcing application of the nursing process in the clinical setting.
- Health Promotion and Patient Teaching boxes include guidelines to promote health, prevent illness, and develop self-care strategies.
- Think Critically boxes encourage you to synthesize information and apply concepts to practice.
- Communication boxes provide examples of nurse-patient dialogues and therapeutic communication techniques.
- Home Care Considerations boxes highlight the adaptation of nursing skills and techniques for the patient in the home care setting.
- Key Terms include phonetic pronunciations, which are helpful for ESL students, and text page references to find the definition.
- Numbered objectives begin each chapter, and are divided into a framework of theory and clinical practice.
- Clinical chapters provide a refresher in anatomy and physiology, with an overview of Structure and Function, and include a section on aging.
- Cultural Considerations cover biocultural variations as well as health promotion for specific ethnic groups, so you can provide culturally competent care.