Fundamental Orthopedic Management for the Physical Therapist Assistant, 5th Edition
Binder-Ready Edition: This loose-leaf copy of the full text is a convenient, accessible, and customizable alternative to the bound book. With this binder-ready edition, students can personalize the text to match their unique needs!
Master the PTA’s role in orthopedic care — from the examination to treatment planning and interventions! Fundamental Orthopedic Management for the Physical Therapist Assistant, 5th Edition helps you understand and apply the principles of orthopedic science to clinical practice. First you will learn the basics of assessing flexibility, strength, endurance, and balance, and then you’ll become a more valuable PTA by learning the essentials of tissue healing, gait and movement, kinesiology, and the management of orthopedic patients by region and condition. This edition reflects the latest, evidence-based practice and adds updates to the Evolve website. Written by clinician and educator Robert Manske, along with a team of expert contributors, this book describes how to work effectively with a supervising physical therapist!
New to this edition
- NEW! Updated content and references are added throughout the book to reflect changes in practice patterns.
- NEW! Expanded full-color illustrations add clarity to anatomy and procedural drawings and make it easier to learn important concepts
- NEW! Updated chapter summaries highlight essential, need-to-know information.
- NEW! Updated educator and student resources on the Evolve website provide tools to make teaching and learning easier.
- Comprehensive coverage addresses not only core concepts related to orthopedic care, but also includes biomechanics, pharmacology, imaging, in-depth reviews of the types of tissue healing, and the PTA's role in physical assessment and interventions.
- More than 600 illustrations and 75 summary tables reinforce orthopedic concepts and procedures.
- A focus on critical thinking and application prepares you for the treatment room and for the clinical practicum portions of your PTA program.
- Important Concepts highlight useful tips to remember in patient practice.
- Key terms and learning objectives begin each chapter, serving as checkpoints for understanding and helping you study effectively for examinations.
- Review questions at the end of each chapter prepare you for the kind of critical thinking you will be required to do in practice.
- Glossaries in each chapter make it easy to find definitions of key terminology.
- Useful appendices provide a quick reference to information such as commonly used medications, fracture eponyms, and reference ranges for lab tests.