Spanish and the Medical Interview: Clinical Cases and Exam Review, 1st Edition
Offering a practical, case-based approach, Spanish and the Medical Interview: Clinical Cases and Exam Review is a unique, immersive study and review resource for medical Spanish. It provides extensive training and review in two formats: the print book contains numerous cases spanning a wide variety of clinical settings, formatted as a patient would present for medical attention, while the audio cases provide multiple opportunities to hone your listening comprehension skills. Together, these learning components test your knowledge and skills in caring for Spanish-speaking patients and prepare you for case-based examinations that test clinical skills in Spanish.
This first-of-its-kind title is ideal as a stand-alone resource or as a companion to Dr. Ortega’s Spanish and the Medical Interview: A Textbook for Clinically Relevant Medical Spanish.
- Helps you improve your interviewing skills, your understanding of patient responses, and your ability to explain a diagnosis and plan of care to Spanish-speaking patients, so you can provide a higher quality of patient care and safety in your practice.
- Covers multiple presentations of cases in main organ system areas, including musculoskeletal, cardiovascular, pulmonary, gastrointestinal, endocrine, genitourinary, neurologic, psychiatric, eye/ear/nose/throat, and pediatric, in multiple patient care settings such as urgent care, emergency department, outpatient clinic, and inpatient wards.
- Focuses on topics that are particularly common in Hispanic/Latino patients and includes cultural health issues that may impact the patient's understanding of medical information, belief system, decision-making preferences, or access to care—all of which have a significant impact on your medical decision making and interviewing styles and effectiveness.
- Leads you through key information for each case, prompting you to use your medical Spanish clinical skills in a series of prompts and questions as the case unfolds. Assessment questions follow each case to test your comprehension.
- Provides more than two dozen audio cases to improve your listening comprehension of different nationalities and accents of Spanish-speaking patients.
- Provides real-world content from Drs. Pilar Ortega and Marco Alemán, who serve on the steering committee for the national, interdisciplinary Medical Spanish Taskforce that aims to standardize the educational approach to a national assessment examination for Medical Spanish.
- Expands your global skills set: in your home country, when caring for patients who speak Spanish, or when caring for patients in other countries through global medicine programs.
- Enhanced eBook version included with purchase. Your enhanced eBook allows you to access all of the text, figures, and references from the book on a variety of devices.