Varcarolis' Manual of Psychiatric Nursing Care, 7th Edition
Get easy-to-use guidelines to psychiatric nursing care in this quick clinical reference! Varcarolis' Manual of Psychiatric Nursing Care, 7th Edition provides an interprofessional approach to care based on patient problems and the latest DSM-5 criteria. It helps you plan evidence-based, individualized nursing care for a range of settings including the inpatient unit, home care, or community care. Clear, concise coverage focuses on the nursing process, summarizing topics from disorders and psychiatric crises to psychopharmacology. From noted educators Margaret Jordan Halter and Christina A. Fratena, this manual is a perfect clinical reference companion for creating psychiatric nursing care plans.
New to this edition
- NEW! International Classification for Nursing Practice (ICNP) nursing diagnoses, from the International Council of Nurses, include straightforward, evidence-based terminology that is easily translatable across settings and disciplines.
- NEW! Updated guidelines promote evidence-based practice for psychiatric nursing care.
- NEW! Current FDA-approved medications and biological treatments include brain stimulation therapies for psychiatric disorders and conditions.
- NEW! Additional information is provided on opioids, the opioid overdose crisis, and implications for psychiatric nursing care.
- NEW! Updated coverage of the role of technology in psychiatric care includes telepsychiatry, social media, and websites.
- NEW appendix outlines up-to-date complementary and alternative approaches to patient care.
- DSM-5-based psychiatric diagnoses, criteria, and organization help you with accurate assessment and diagnosis of patients.
- Clinical coverage of major psychiatric disorders simplifies often-complex material to the essentials.
- Prioritized care plans for psychiatric nursing diagnoses include assessment findings/diagnostic cues, nursing diagnosis, etiology, outcome criteria, and interventions with rationales.
- Chapters on psychopharmacology provide essential information on drugs such as antipsychotics and antidepressants.
- Coverage of brain stimulation therapies includes electroconvulsive therapy and vagus nerve stimulation.
- Assessment guides include tables, charts, and questionnaires to help with patient diagnosis and care.